Thursday, June 25, 2009

Early stages of my first project


I started by blocking in the local colors as you can see in the image at the top. I've been working on color composition and lighting effects in the other one. The piece still needs a lot of work in those areas. 
So far my major concerns are still with the brushwork. I'm going to try the overlay and other types of layers tomorrow to see if that achieves the effect I want. I will probably try switching to a different brush as well.
I'm also not satisfied with the bolts of lightning so far. they seem to be overpowering the image to much, so I'm going to try to rework that tomorrow also.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    Looks great so far! I love the effect of the lightning bolt through the cape. You could try doing variable widths on the bolt, just like a brush-stroke. You might also consider starting and stopping the bolt in pieces. Perhaps the bolt could just go on the lower half from hand to hand and not complete the circle over the head. I know that it is opposite your original plan. Besides interacting with the cape on the bottom semi-circle you get the advantage of drawing more attention to the hair and head of the figure without competing with lightning effect in the same immediate vicinity.

    --David

    ReplyDelete