Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Master Study


This is my second master study. I got the original image from Deviantart.com. The artist is Stanley "Artgerm" Lau. For this study I was trying to do basically the opposite of my last study. Instead of working on using brush textures, I'm trying to make smooth gradations that look like they make sense instead of producing the typical blurry photoshop look that so many digital paintings have. My next project is going to be a concept design for a futuristic looking car. I want to use metallic looking gradations like the study image without any brush work being visible. So far the technique I've been using for this effect is to simply use hard brushes when I'm working near an edge and then switch to a soft brush for the majority of an area. This technique works okay but I think there is probably more I can do to make it look right without wasting so much time going over the same area so manytimes to get it really smooth.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, Great Study!
    I am assuming that you did not use vector paths and selections for areas. I will have to show you that tomorrow. You can really get precise sections that way and then soften them up afterwards. You can even create the areas in Illustrator first if you like the vector tools there better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work they look exactly the same. if u didn't say which one is the original or the study no one would know.

    ReplyDelete