Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First master study



This is my first master study(bottom right picture). The original painting at the top is by Andrew Hou and I got it off of CGhub.com. My first project is going to be a simple concept design for a fantasy character. The main thing that I want to get from this painting is the effect of the intense lighting from the lantern shining on the ragged fabric. The painting also has very hard edge looking brush marks that I like a lot. Most of my paintings tend to look to soft even though I have the hardness of my brushes set to 100%. I think the problem may come from building up too many transparent layers. I'm going to experiment with more opaque brush techniques to see if that works.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Great post. It is exactly what I am looking for. I will look into the CGhub as a source. As for sharpness; one possibility is to use unsharp mask on a layer. Though the results could be scary, let me know what you think. Another possibility is that transforming a layer can make it a little bit blurry. Sounds like a good research process.
    --David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    First of all i would like to say great job. You definitely caught the intense lighting. Something that you might try to push the light just a little more is make a overlay layer and go over the shadows a little more. In the study a lot of the shadows, while they look real, are not as dark as they were in the original.
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jacob, a layer set to Overlay can be a great way to paint in some higher contrast without affecting the existing painting much. If you paint with dark colors in overlay it just makes the darks darker without affecting the lights. If you paint with light it will just make the lights lighter. At least that is the way I think it works. Overlay can do both directions where screen does just light and multiply does just darks.

    ReplyDelete