Tuesday, July 7, 2009

3rd master Study


This is my third master study. The original image is by UdonCrew. I got it off of DevianArt.com. I'm planning on doing something with line work and cel shading for my next project. I used this example of those techniques just to practice the brush tool in illustrator. I ended up using the blob brush after practicing for awhile because it had more natural effects than the regular brush. I colored it in Photoshop.
Even though I traced the original image and used the eyedropper tool for the colors it still seems like the original has more energy or visual interest, especially in the hair. I didn't bother reproducing the background texture because the goal was to learn the brush tool and I didn't want to waste time. I don't think that can be the problem since the hair is what's really bothering me. It seems like the original may simply have a more energetic edge quality between the darks and lights of the shapes. I will probably just have to practice more to achieve this effect.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, I think that some of the difference that you are seeing in the hair may just be a matter of softening it with a slight blur. Just like how the glowing red eye thing wouldn't work without the blur. If you still have it in layers try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did blur the dark shapes on the hair and the skin. I guess it wasn't enough to really be noticeable. I'll try strengthening it some more.

    ReplyDelete